Is it a heath risk to observe blood in stool whensuffering from MSRA?

Question
Hello, I have a question. I was diagnosed with msra in november. And had treatment with IV antibiotics for two weeks. The doctor than said my blood was negative. So today I went to the bathroom and notice my bowel moment had blood on it and even the tissue. Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hardik Thakker 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dont worry, this could be just hemorrhoids. Detailed Answer: Dear patient. Greetings from health care magic!!! I am Dr Thakker and shall be answering your question. I can understand your anxiety about having passed blood in stools. I will try my best to answer your question and guide you through it. You have a history of infection with MRSA in blood which has been successfully treated. This episode of blood in stools has got nothing to do with the past MRSA infection. The bleeding could be from haemorrhoids or fissure or polyp. I would like to reassure you that this doesn't look like MRSA. I would recommend you to have a PR proctoscopy by a surgeon. This will tell us the cause of the blood. You may need a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy of the PR proctoscopy is inconclusive. Once haemorrhoids are seen on PR proctoscopy, they are graded as 1,2 and3. Grade 1 is treated medically with stool softeners, sitz bath, local lignocaine jelly. grade 2 and 3 need surgery. If polpys or malignancy is the cause, they are treated accordingly. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me. Yours sincerely, Dr Thakker

Follow-up: Is it a heath risk to observe blood in stool whensuffering from MSRA? 3 hours later
Ok one last question. When I went to the bathroom when I first noticed I was bleeding, half of my stool was brown and half was red. I went to the bathroom again and I notice my whole stool was red, and when I wiped it was a reddish/pinkish color. Than I realize last night I had two big slices of red velvet cake. Can red velvet cake be the cause of the feces being red because of the red food dye? Thanks again in advance

Answered by Dr. Hardik Thakker 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please perform stool occult blood test. Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your follow up question. I do understand the fact that eating a red color food product can discolour the stools. I would suggest you to have a stool occult blood test done. This test detects even tiny amounts of blood in the stool. If the redness is from the food color, the test will be negative. If it is XXXXXXX blood the test will be positive. However I feel it is XXXXXXX blood which is responsible for the symptoms. After the test, next step would be a PR proctoscopy by a surgeon. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me. Yours sincerely, Dr Thakker