Is it OK to wear a splint on the knuckle of ring finger bruised and slightly swollen ?

I bruised the knuckle of the finger next to the pinky. This occurred as I tried (successfully) to prevent a fall. The knuckle is slightly swollen and is mildly painful. Today I purchased a splint and have worn it for most of today (the incident occurred several days ago) - This immobilization seeems to help.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later

Since the incident happened several days ago and your finger is still painful it implies that you may have injured the bone or may have dislocated the joint. An injury of bone specially at a joint needs to be treated carefully so that you can recover complete movement of your joint.

Using a splint has given rest to the injured area. Continue with it for a while.

My suggestion would be to get an X-ray of your finger done to rule out the bony injury. I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for further treatment.

In the mean time. You can continue using the splint. Anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen will be useful in this condition.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. If there any any more concerns, I will be available for follow ups.