Is it OK to have mild spotting post 118 days of pregnancy ?

Hi Doctor, I'm Gopi from Bangalore. Recently we checked the Gynecologist Doctor and she has confirmed that my wife's pregnancy and we took the scan too. We could see the baby movement. 118 days are completed. Today my wife observed two drops of dark blood in her dress. Why it has happened? It will abort my baby growing.? Please help me..
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX thanks for posting query.

First of all congratulation for the parents to be.118 days of pregnancy and you had seen movement of baby on scan,things are in place.

Your wife is in 2nd trimester.There are 3 trimesters of pregnancy.By this time your wife must be experiencing movements of baby inside her womb.Folic is also given that is good.

You said she had history of non development of baby due to some reason in 2010,you need to be careful this time.

As you said she had spotting today,please visit your gynecologist immediately for examination.Hormone deficiency at this stage can lead to this kind of spotting.Some times low lying placenta can also lead to this.In either case a recent ultrasound and examination is must.Your doctor after examination will give necessary treatment.

Please visit your doctor and take her advise soon.I hope that's what you wanted to know from my side,there is no reason for panic but caution is definitely needed.

I hope I answered your questions , I would be available to answer the follow up queries as well

Wishing your wife a safe confinement .
Follow-up: Is it OK to have mild spotting post 118 days of pregnancy ? 22 minutes later
Hello Sir,

We will go and XXXXXXX gynecologist doctor soon. Please tell me , is this symptom will abort my baby growing ? My wife will get any weak on this ?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 7 hours later

Your decision to visit gynecologist is good and please do it.As I wrote earlier if there is some hormone deficiency it can lead to some detrimental effect on fetus,which can even can slow growth of fetus.Your wife can not have any problem with this.

In case of low lying placenta chances of further spotting can be there and that can compromise both mother and fetus.The most important thing is that after you have posted your query today there is no spotting again,(as you not mentioned in your fresh query),there is no reason for panic,take care,ask her to avoid any physical exertion like lifting weight,unnecessary move in and out of house till things get cleared.

I hope there is not further spotting,keep a watch on movement of baby inside,please note any decrease or increase in movements also.

Take care and bye.