Is isolated echogenic bowel a serious concern?

My wife is 18.5 weeks pregnant and during her level 2 ultrasound, the baby was marked for isolated echogenic bowel. Is it a very serious concern? What to do?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: No, it is not concerning; but needs follow up... Detailed Answer: Hi, Isolated echogenic bowel is usually nonspecific finding in ultrasound during second trimester. Currently I don't find othere specific finding except isolated echogenic bowel, so I would not be worried about it. But I have seen few such cases where pregnant women with such findings advance to reveal some congenital anomalies and congenital infection. There were few foetal demises incidence too. So, you should follow up with the gyenacologist and get your wife serial ultrasound to rule out congenital anomalies like cystic fibrosis, trisomy 21 and down syndrome(your wife age is 31) which can appear at 22-24weeks. Some times echogenic bowel finding may be associated with accumulation of muconium in bowel and it is associated with congenital infection like CMV, rubella infection. In short, currently this finding is not concerning; but it should be looked with caution and regular follow up + serial ultrasound scan is a must. I think I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to help you. Good luck. Regards Dr. Richa
Follow-up: Is isolated echogenic bowel a serious concern? 9 hours later
Dear Doctor, thank you for your diagnosis. I am attaching the test reports of Cytomegalo IgG which my wife took yesterday, her tripple marker tests came out as low risk. Is it required that we should get the amniocentesis invasive test done? Please advise
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can wait for amniocentesis test. Detailed Answer: Hi, Happy to see you again. In my opinion you should go for cytomegalo virus IgM testing because your wife IgG report is slightly positive,so with this investigation we can rule out some recent infection of virus or if it is so we should go for its treatment. Your wife triple test are negative so you can avoid amniocentesis if your gynaecologist said so because it is an invasive procedure or in your wife case their is no clear indication for amniocentesis. I think I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to help you otherwise you can close the query and rate the answer. Good luck. Regards Dr. Richa