Is is normal to be still bleeding 4 weeks after giving birth?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later
Hi Tosha,

Please clarify some details.
You gave birth 4 weeks ago and are still bleeding?
Also you developed anemia due to blood loss?
Do i have that history right?
Did you have a normal delivery?
Was the delivery without complications and done by a doctor?

Please clarify.

Follow-up: Is is normal to be still bleeding 4 weeks after giving birth? 25 hours later
Yes I am still bleeding but few blod . Yes i been anemic be four the the pregnancy . The birth was normal without complications and done be a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later

Thanks again,

If the bleeding is reducing then no need to worry. If not, then you should have an ultrasound done to rule out the possibility of placental remnants.

You will have to take iron supplements along with an iron XXXXXXX diet to control the anemia. It's very common after blood loss during the pregnancy.

You should have stopped bleeding by 4 weeks. So I suggest you see your doctor again and get an ultrasound. Low platelet counts also needs to be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.