Is iodine mouthwash good for oral thrush?

Excellent
Question
Iodine as mouthwash. Two drops on 200ml is the right ratio? Good for oral thrush? Thx
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Specify percentage Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. As iodine is generally not recommended for routine oral usage due to its wide range of side effects.Therefore before I answer this question in detail can you please mention what percentage of iodine you are using? Is it povidone mouthwash 1% or anything else? Awaiting response. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Is iodine mouthwash good for oral thrush? 28 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Thanks for your kind response. It's concentrated iodine that i hope to add a two drops into the wine glass. See photos. Is it safe? I am hoping to use this as a gargle for suspected oral candida.

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: 1:4 dilution Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. I would advise you to use 1:4 dilution for mouthwash in plain water for twice daily. 16 drops with a dropper in 200ml of plain water for rinsing as mouth wash.It is not recommended in patients with thyroid disorders. It is best to go for 1%povidone Iodine mouth wash readily available in market for rinsing or else chlorhexidine 0.2% mouth wash for a week is helpful. Please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Is iodine mouthwash good for oral thrush? 14 minutes later
Thanks, doctor, for your prompt advice.

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. your welcome. wish you good health. Let me know for further query please. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Is iodine mouthwash good for oral thrush? 5 hours later
Hi doctor, just wondering if 100% clove and tea tree essential oilsalso work? 3-4 drop in quarter cup of warm water? I read over the internet that it works. Thanks.

Brief Answer: Advised antifungal therapy Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. yes you have read right. Clove and tea tree oils also used for treating fungal and microbial infections, it has good medicinal effects on thrush,but please remember as thrush is recurrent in nature I would advise you to go for anti fungal treatment upon clinical examination. you can use 4 drops of clove oil in 100 ml of water and the same for tea tree oil. A complete course of anti fungal therapy is advised for candida infection. Hope it helps. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Is iodine mouthwash good for oral thrush? 12 hours later
You mean s course of fluconzole tablets? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Advised antifungal therapy Detailed Answer: Brief Answer: Advised antifungal therapy Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. Fluconzole is one of the anti fungal drug but there are drugs like Nystatin and Daktarin oral gel. Many polyenes and azole group of medication are also given in thrush, available for local application. Therefore I would say please go for clinical evaluation and treatment based upon that. Any fault followed by self medication leads to remission and recurrences. Hope it helps. wish you good health. Let me know for further query please. Thanks. Take care.