Is internal bleeding possible after a mild head injury?

Nov 2013

Yes, thank you! This morning I got hit on the top of my head with my curtain rod, heavy metal thing. I went to the doctor, nor practitioner, and she said the chances of me internally bleeding are very slight since my head didn't bounce around in there. However, I am scared to sleep tonight. It's been about 12 hours since the hit and I have no cuts or headaches just a weird feeling where it happened. I just read that the only way to really know is a cat scan. I really don't want to be leaking blood inside my brain. What are your thoughts ?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with your doctor that based on the symptoms, you seem to have suffered a mild head injury and there is little chance of any internal bleeding. Symptoms that would point to internal bleeding would include severe headache, vomiting, double vision, decreased alertness, fits, weakness of arm or leg, etc. As of now you can wait and watch. However, if you want to be 100% sure, then, I agree with you that doing a CAT scan of brain is the best option. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Is internal bleeding possible after a mild head injury? 19 minutes later
Thank you so much! I just was wondering when do you think I will be in the clear and don't have to worry anymore? I'm just concerned if there's like a leaking of blood. Also is the top of the head less prone to bleeding? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: It would be clear in 24-48 hours and after that you would not have to worry about. Top of head is less prone to bleed and also, there are no vital brain structures there (as compared to back of head). Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)