Is insomnia caused due to withdrawal of OxyContin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband has been on OxyContin for 8 weeks starting with 50mg twice per day. We have slowly been reducing the dose firstly to 30mg then 20mg twice per day and two days ago we stopped the medication because he feels that the pain he now has is easier to cope with than the side effects of the medication. Now he is exhibiting all the withdrawal symptoms and has insomnia. Is there anything I can do to make this process easier?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Taking Xanax can help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Stopping oxycontin so fast is associated with withdrawal symptoms like agitation; anxiety; tremors; muscle aches; hot and cold flashes; sometimes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea — These are not life-threatening, but are extremely uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable symptoms should subside within a few days to a week. To have an earlier relief he can have a mild anti anxiety drug like xanax for few days can be helpful. He can have plenty of fluids orally and take a light and easy to digest foods. If you find that the symptoms last longer than seven days and are severe, you should seek medical attention. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL