Is injesting marijuana during idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis safe?

Is it okay to injest marijuana via a vaporizer if you have idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query ,
Yes, its relatively safer to take Marijuana via vaporizer than smoking the weed.
Well it can not be stated that its completely safe as it could have indirect effects via respiratory centre in the brain , cardiac effects and vascular effects.

The danger is more with the smoke which do contain harmful carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke.Also can aggravate the condition you have by causing frequent irritation , direct chemical injury and infection in the lung tissue.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Is injesting marijuana during idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis safe? 11 hours later
From your response, the vaporizer would be preferable to smoking. However, could you elucidate a bit more on the "respiratory center in the brain," vascular and cardiac effects? Also, have you read anything that would indicate using marijuana via the vaporizer has any beneficial effects re idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for following me up,

The Marijuana(Tetrahydrocannabinol THC) has inhibitory effects on some parts of the brain .There is a centre which maintains and supervises the rate and depth of respiration any effect on that centre by THC will have undesired effects on respiration and the IPF (Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis) you have, can aggravate the malfunctioning.

Due to the effects of THC on the heart and the blood vessels the commonest consequence expected is Hypo-tension ( low BP) and altered heart rate.Since the heart is closely connected to the heart ( impure/de-oxygenated blood is received from heart oxygenated and sent back to the heart ) during this process the pressure and the rate of the heart will surely affect the perfusion( entry of blood into lung tissue) and thus oxygenation of blood in lungs resulting in malfunctioning the same aggravated by IPF.

No , I have not gone through any literature which mentions about the beneficial effects in IPF.

Wish you good health.