Is induce pain for delivery advisable incase of slow fetus growth?

May 2013
I am 37 weeks pregnant. My doctor has decided to induce pain and deliver me at 38 weeks. The baby growth is not much because of PI problem. Is this a right decision?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Severe PI can lead to IUGR etc Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Sometimes placental insufficiency can lead to intrauterine growth retardation of the baby. If the pregnancy with placental insufficiency is prolonged that can further affect the growth retarded baby. It can also lead to complications like oligohydromnios, sudden IUD etc. So, usually in case of severe placental insufficiency, doctors decide to deliver the baby prior to term. By 38 weeks baby will gain the capacity to survive in extrauterine environment. So delivery can be planned around 38 weeks. But IUGR baby may not withstand the stress of induction of labor and preterm induction may prolong the process. So, in case of severe placental insufficiency with IUGR baby, better to go for elective cesarean section. Discuss this with your doctor and follow her advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Is induce pain for delivery advisable incase of slow fetus growth? 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I am quite satisfied with your query. At 36 weeks by LMP the actual growth of baby was showing 34 weeks. And the weight was 2,280 gms. Do you think the growth is very less? The baby movements are also being monitored every week during NST (Non stress Test) and the movements are very good as per the last report i.e. 30 movements in 20 minut
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lower normal level, biophysical profile Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually the normal weight of Indian babies at full term ranges from 2.5kgs to 3.5kgs. As your baby is having 2280 gms at 36 weeks, the weight may increase to 2.5 to 2.7 kgs at full term. This can be considered as at lower normal level. But if the placental insufficiency progress and complications like oilgohydramnios etc occur, it is difficult to predict the progress. Two weeks disparity in all the parameters suggest placental insufficiency and growth retardation. As the baby movements are good, you can continue with regular biweekly biophysical monitoring till 38 weeks. After that depending on the condition of the baby, placenta, amount of liquor etc further management can be planned. Take care.