Is immediate surgery required when suffering from Goitre?

My mother has Goitre in right lobe and a small thyroid nodule with colloid degeneration in left lobe. She has had HR USG of the Thyroid Gland. Does this condition need an immediate surgery and is it a major one? Which hospital or Doctors would you recommend for consultation?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No surgery is required. Detailed Answer: Dear user, hi! goitre is a compensatory enlargement of the thyroid gland. it does not usually require surgery. indications for surgery are 1. large enough to cause compression symptoms 2. cosmetic reasons 3. malignancy. so if these are not the conditions surgery is ruled out. same holds for colloid goitre. now what you need to do is tell me the thyroid function status ie TSH and FT4. also if you can get FNAC of the goitre as well as the nodule or 99 Tc uptake scan of the thyroid gland. these will answer all your queries. regards!
Follow-up: Is immediate surgery required when suffering from Goitre? 5 minutes later
Thanks so much for this prompt reply Doctor. I have right now only the FNAC report which i have upload. The other tests weren't recommended by the general physician but will get them done once i can fix a Doctor whom i can meet personally for consultation. Kindly see if this report could help clear the status so more.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: report is normal. Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm, FNAC report is normal. nothing to worry. you can take this as a personal consultation and as i told you surgery is not required. only one more test you can get done for her is TSH and FT4 from a blood sample. any lab would do it and you can tell me the reports. according to that we can start the treatment if required and if that report is also normal then you can sit back and relax from thyroid point of view. Regards!
Follow-up: Is immediate surgery required when suffering from Goitre? 29 minutes later
Thanks again Doctor its a relief to hear this from you. Since other Doctors said my mother might need a surgery since it could become malignant due to her age factor. I have uploaded one report just now which i can see has the TSH and FT4 values. Can you please check that? Thank you very much Doctor XXXXXXX It was very nice have this conversation with you. The suggestions are very relieving for me since i have only my mother now. Thank you once again and if there is anything else i should do to take extra care of her kindly suggest, else i will definitely keep monitoring the signs you have mentioned above.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: this is normal as well. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX this is normal as well. so now that everything is normal , you only need to monitor her 6 monthly for any thing new coming up like sudden increase in size, or signs of compression like difficulty in breathing, difficulty in swallowing, severe pain and TSH and FT4 . Regards!