Is hypoglycemia like symptoms due to change in diet?

I was in very low carb diet and i quit sudenly eating to much bread and gatorade that night i was feeling oufall i think i had a hipoglucemia very cold hands and feet, palpitation, extremely weakness. I will like to why?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 hours later

Hypoglycemia present with varied symptoms amongst different individuals. These symptoms are seen at varied blood sugar values which are not the same for all individuals. They are much common among insulin uses and those on drugs for diabetes.

The initial symptoms that are often seen are palpitation, sweating, headache, cold extremities and so on. Tiredness, irritability, drowsiness, convulsions, loss of consciousness are found in the later stages if blood sugars are not corrected immediately. The symptoms improve only after sugar supplementation.

Based on your history, the event you had that night may or may not be due to hypoglycemia. Nevertheless, I do not find a reason to concern if you do not have such symptoms recurring again.

I suggest you to get your sugars recorded to look for fluctuations. I also advice you against sudden changes in diet as they could be detrimental to you.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to address them.

Follow-up: Is hypoglycemia like symptoms due to change in diet? 4 hours later
Thank you so much i forgot to tell you i have litle insulin resistance the dr told me it was not diabetes and it was because i have 20 pounds extra. Which diet will be better for me because quitting all carbs was the thing i was doing before this event i asked you before happened. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 hours later
Hi again,

Let me first apologies for the delayed response.

A very thin line exist between insulin resistance and diabetes. People who have been insulin resistant may develop diabetes in the later part of life. Hence my recommendation to watch your blood sugars regularly.

Insulin resistance many a times is attributed to increased body weight. Often insulin resistance get rectified once the extra pad of fat on the abdomen (belly) is lost. Hence instead of considering carbohydrate free diet to keep sugars off, you would need to follow a diet that helps you to loose weight. I suggest you to consult a dietician to formulate a personalised diet suited to your body needs and follow it sincerely. Cardioexercises such as brisk walking, threadmill and jogging are known to be very helpful too.

Now, to answer your question, I don't suggest you to completely quit carbohydrates as they play an important role in supplying calories that provide energy for every day body functions. Avoid high calorie carbohydrates such as sweets, chocolates, refined cereals, dairy products, etc. Instead fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, oats, low fat milk, etc are acceptable.

Hope you find this answer is adequate and acceptable.

I thank you once again for posting your query on XXXXXXX Wish you good health.