Is hydrogen peroxide advisable for herpes treatment?

Dec 2012

I am on Atripla treatment. I am HIV and also have herpes. I heard of using hydrogen peroxide can help with herpes. Is is a good idea to try it ?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is needless going through with H2O2 therapy Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX There is no clinical support for using hydrogen peroxide for herpes sores or treatment. In the medical community we work basically on facts/research and until something has been tested on clinical grounds by various researchers, it is not advisable to follow through such therapy based only on what people say or write on their blogs. Personally I have never come across the use of hydrogen peroxide for treatment of herpes given that it a type of infection that can wear off on its own or if initial treatment with an antiviral agent such acyclovir (topically) you can get relief within 48 hours. However, some doctors claim that applying food grade diluted hydrogen peroxide can give your relief within 48 hours. Taking H2O2 as a good agent for eradication of certain body germs during a severe purulent wound infection, I can deduce that it is possible to also use it on herpes virus (which I personally not sure if it can destroy viruses). However, never you use it intravenously as some people claim, as it is a very toxic/potent agent which if not manipulated properly can lead to sudden death or serious morbidity. Undilitued or highly concentrated (35%) can be very XXXXXXX and you need to dilute it to 3%-7% or even less before using either externally or orally (without swallowing). I suggest you discuss first hand with your doctor before going through such unknown therapy for herpes. Hope this helps and please feel free to write back if you have any further questions. Dr. Nsah