Is hollenhorst plaque in retina indicative of a heart disease?

Dec 2012

I am a 42 year old female. Can you advise whether signs of hollenhorst plaque in retina mean I have heart disease ? I am a healthy weight, have normal blood pressure and am a mon smoker. I am booked in to see a cardiologist in a few weeks but am extremely worried about it. thanks
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Indicative of a cardiovascular diseases Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you. Hollenhorst plaque is a cholesterol embolus that occurs in vessels supplying the retina. It is usually indicative of a severe cardiovascular diseases such as artherosclerosis which occurs in more proximal vessels such as the carotide arteries and since this vessel is stemming from the heart, it could also indirectly affect the heart and it vessels. When this hollenhorst plaque sign is identified by an ophthalmologist during eye exams, the patient is referred to a cardiologist who can take a closer look at your entire cardiovascular system notably by examining you, running some tests such as lipid profile and doing some angiography to determine which vessels might have originated the cholesterol embolus. Your treatment will consist of findings during the visit to the cardiologist. It is already a good thing that you have a healthy lifestyle, which means complications will actually be minimal. So, you should not worry much as I believe that you will be just find after seeing the doctor. Continue healthy lifestyle with low fat diets and regular exercises and everything will be just fine. Wish you the best and hope this helps. Dr. Nsah