Is high Metropolol dose safe when suffering from sleep apnea?

My cardiologist put me on 50 mg of Metropolol because of high blood pressure. I also take a Calcium Channel blocker 12 hours later. HE NOW WANTS ME TO GO UP TO 100 MG, BUT I HAVE SLEEP APNEA. SHOULD I ASK HIM ABOUT IT BEFORE STARTING NEW DOSE?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worries,Do as directed, Seek specialists Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX! Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your concern for this dose readjustment for the hypertension. XXXX i want you to know that dose increment from 50 to 100mg per day is a standard procedure and the dose can be increased even further not to exceed 450 mg per oral a day. And using calcium channel blockers concomitantly is also a standard procedure. Some time double antihypertensive therapies are required to keep the hypertension checked.Follow AHA guidelines and do as directed by your cardiologist. Now the issue of sleep apnea has nothing to do with the meds , it rather needs an otorhinolaryngologist, Dentist and sleep disorders specialist. as it needs a little management. Losing weight would be a good start. The doctor will provide solution for the sleep apnea issue. Discuss the options like CPAP, BIPAP therapies and surgical corrections if need be. Take good care and keep me posted. Don't forget to close the discussion please. Regards Khan