Is high Lymphocytosis count a symptom of leukemia?

I am a male 37 years of age. I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and take Prozac and Xanax. I also had hypothyroidism and took cynthroid. I stopped taking it in October because of financial problem. I had a blood test two weeks ago and got results today. The doctor was suprised my hypothroidism was normal without pills. But I told him I lost 40 pounds on purpose so I am no longer over weight. He did say I had a high Lymphocytosis count and said I may have had a virus I did not know about. Also, he said my white blood count was normal. I was just worried about leukemia because that is a possibility he said, so I will have another blood test in a month. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and have been worried about having leukemia, though I have no symptoms (fever, aches, bumps) and no family history. I heard the remission rate for leukemia is 90% but after that 40% survive. Would a survival rate, if I did have it, be higher for a man of 38 years old? Also, should I be worrying about that high Lymphocytosis count? It had been cold here in Florida recently and I may have had a virus I did not know about. sincerely, XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be leukemia Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. As the total count is normal, a relative lymphocytosis may not be leukemia. it may be due to a virus infection. Mostly these resolve with time. No specific treatment for virus is required. Another blood test 1 month after may help to reassure you. Don't think about leukemia and all its consequences. I don't think it is leukemia. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Is high Lymphocytosis count a symptom of leukemia? 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Ghosh: Thanks for your information. Before I close this question, I wanted to ask if it is possible to have a virus and never have any symptoms or complications from it? My doctor said I may have been carrying a virus and not have even known it. I do remember feeling a little sick back in october or November. But my test was on January 20th. thanks again! sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, sometimes viral infections go undetected Detailed Answer: These infections often do not cause any symptoms or only mild symptoms. However, it is difficult to say if the episode in October was the culprit or not. regards