Is herpes a contagious disease. Is there any medicine to cure it?

hi , i have friend who i know has herpes , i think she got from having sex , and we just shared a cigaret and smoked hookah together , and my lips is kind of burning , maybe because im so worry about it , i washed my mouth with salty water , and moth wash after 30 min , i dont know , what is the chance for me to catching the virus , and also since i am worry about it , is there any medication that i can take to stop it , or help to reduce the chance of getting it ? please answer me , im going crazy !
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Herpes is an contagious disease which can spread from one person to other via sexual route or via saliva.The chances of herpes spreading are more if the infection is active and there are active lesions in and around the oral cavity.If your friend did not have any lesions (fluid filled vesicals) around the oral cavity then the chances of you having the infection are less.

Also since you have washed the mouth with salt water and mouth wash the chances of infection are much lesser.

I am sorry to say that there are no prophylactic medication to avoid Herpes.I would also like to comment that since the chances are negligible there is no need for to be worried.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.