Is hepatitis C transmission possible by a needle prick?

im an emt and my neighbor came over to my house while off shift and wanted me to check her husbands vitals. i checked his blood sugar as well and i accidentally pricked my finger when i was disposing the lancet after pricking the husbands finger. he is known to have hep c. what are the chances of transmission and how often should i get tested?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: less than 1 per 100 exposures Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I can see why you are concerned. The risk of transmission of hep C is less than 1 per 100 exposures. It also depends on host factors, needle size and depth of the prick. As a lancet is a non bored needle, the chances are even less, may be 1 in 1000. If you want confirmation, you need to go for RNA PCR for hep C after 2-3 weeks. Please provide some information: What is the depth of penetration and did any blood ooze? Did you clean the area with a spirit or alcohol swab after it? Waiting for reply.
Follow-up: Is hepatitis C transmission possible by a needle prick? 3 hours later
not so sure of the penetration depth, but it wasn't deep. the lancet seemed smaller in length and also thinner than what my ems service uses. it was the husband's glucometer i used. a little blood did ooze after squeezing the site. i did have gloves on when the stick happened so it pierced through the glove and then my index finger. i dont know if these make any difference at all. but i cleaned the site with a sanitizer wipe as that was what was on me at that time but went home and washed my hands with soap and water.
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, In that case, you need not worry. Your chance of getting infection is negligible. As I mentioned, just for confirmation , you may go for RNA PCR after a gap of 3 weeks. All the best.