Is heart rate of 137 bpm ok for 12 year old with fever?

Question
12 year old son has fever. feels dizzy. has a resting heart rate of ab 137 bpm. throat hurts do i need to be worried about heart rate
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Fever with pain in the throat indicates a throat infection- bacterial or viral.

Usually antibiotics are needed to restrict the spread of infection.

You can give Tablet. Acetaminophen round the clock with warm saline gargles for symptomatic relief.

In a child of 12 years age, a heart rate of 120 beats per minute is considered as normal. A rise of heart rate to upto 150 beats per minute is common in fever.

If there are no ominous symptoms like palpitation, shortness of breath, chest pain, syncope, dizziness, etc then there is no reason to worry due to raised heart rate.

This tachycardia will subside once the fever subsides.

I suggest you to get an appointment from your pediatrician as soon as possible to know the cause of fever and to get the appropriate antibiotics prescribed.

Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.