Is headache with low fever symptom of lead poisoning?

Excellent
Question
Hello Doctor My wife shoots sporting clays and as a result her hands are regularly exposed to high quanities of lead. She reloads the shells herself and collects fired shells that are covered with lead. Yesterday I noticed her hands were thoroughly covered with the dust. Now today she has come home sick with symptoms of headache, a low fever, is very flush what I would consider flu like symptoms. We are full time RV'ers and are together continually and eat pretty much the same food. As much as she loves to shoot I am concerned she may have lead poisoning.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Check lead levels Detailed Answer: Dear husband, Thanks for the query. Indeed, lead posioning symptoms can be very non specific and the most important detail is a history of expossure that may be clinically relevant. The most sensitive screening test would be checking lead levels in blood, if they are normal, keep on shooting and RV'ing! Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology