Is hair fall related to losing calcium during breastfeeding?

Jan 2014

Hi I recently started losing hair. Whenever I take a shower or brush my hair. I have tons of hair coming out. maybe twice or more than twice as much as normally?? I gave birth about. 5 months ago. And have been breasfeeding. Then about 1 month ago had my wisdom tooth extracted. I started losing hair about 1 month ago. Do you think it has something to do with my wisdom tooth extracted ?? Or is it maybe because I am losing calcium due to breastfeeding ?? Thanks.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 days later
Brief Answer: post partum hair loss subsides by 6 months Detailed Answer: Hi. You have what is called post partum hair loss. This usually starts the third or fourth postpartum and ends by six months. This is a temporary phase. During pregnancy the incresed levels of estrogens in your body makes your hair thick and lusturous, hair that would normally fall out stays put, resulting in thicker hair. After delivery when estrogen levels fall you start losing all those hair that were resting during pregnancy. This temporary hair loss doesn't mean you're deficient in nutrition or vitamins, infact its hormonal. I dont think it is related to tooth extraction. I would advice to take a good healthy diet, continue with your Iron and calcium supplements and Vit D supplements till you are breast feeding. Take a high protein diet because hair is all protein(keratin). This phase will pass sooner or later. I hope i have answered your query. take care.
Follow-up: Is hair fall related to losing calcium during breastfeeding? 2 hours later
Hi I would like to know what mean by third post partum ? Do you mean the 3rd day or 3rd month? The reason I am asking is because my hair loss started 3.5 month after giving birth, it didnt start right away...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Third month postpartum Detailed Answer: Hi. I meant to say that it starts in the third or fourth month after delivery. Its months not days. sorry for error. Take care and enjoy motherhood:-) Dr kakkar