Is giving antibiotics and steroids without blood test safe to treat tonsils in a child?

My granddaughter has swollen tonsils no real pain no fever no ear ache she just says it kinda hurts. Took her to the children's hospital yesterday all they said was it will go away. It hasn't n has gotten worse. They swabed her throatand said it came back neg. No she's at a different E.R. They are giving her antibiotics and steriods no blood work?
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Tonsillitis could be viral or bacterial in nature. Continue with medicaton as prescribed. She will be fine in couple of days. Give her plenty of fluids and soft bland diet. Make her to take rest. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if there is any further question I would be glad to help. Wishing your child good health. God bless...