Is garcinia Cambogia likely to raise blood pressure?

Question
Is garcinia Cambogia likely to raise my blood pressure?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prasad 48 minutes later

Research to understand the therapeutic potentials of Garcinia Cambogia are still in developmental stage. There are no robust human trials to clearly define its uses and side effects. The current evidences though, reveal no significant effects on blood pressure.

But if I were to be your treating doctor, I would not recommend you use this product until we have complete data available from human trials in view of blood pressure drugs and kidney condition.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Is garcinia Cambogia likely to raise blood pressure? 7 hours later
Dear Dr.:

What about the effects of 800 mg of Green Coffee Extract upon blood pressure?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later

There are no clear and robust evidence available about use of herbal products/extract in treating medical problems. However, they have been used since ages with some outcomes. Green coffee extracts and green tea are few such products with positive effects on health.

Green coffee extracts are known to reduce weight and cholesterol levels. Mild dose under 90mg can control blood pressures. But when used in higher dose, due to the caffeine content in it, it can interfere with blood pressure mechanics to cause higher blood pressure.

In brief, you may use green coffee extracts but in doses lower than 90mg. High dose as 800mg, extract will interfere with blood pressure control.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarification.