Ask a Urologist   »  

Is frequent urination with stinging feeling sign of an infection ?

Hi, I'm a 32 year old male. In the last 36 hours I've been urinating frequently & also when I do I get severe stinging/pinching. Almost unbearable. Is it an infection?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 minutes later

Since you are having a stinging sensation as well as increased frequency of micturition, the first possibility is of an urinary tract infection.

Drink plenty of water and fluids and drink abundant amount of juices XXXXXXX in vitamin C like orange juice or cranberry juice.

Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin.

Consult your doctor so that he can prescribe you a proper course of antibiotics after obtaining the urine sample for complete examination and urine culture.

Most commonly prescribed antibiotics are from Fluroquinolone group of drugs, Cephalosporins and anaerobic DNA inhibitors.

If symptoms are severe and accompanied by any flank pain as well, then kidney/ bladder stones need to be ruled out by means of an ultrasound.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.