Ask a Urologist   »  

Is foul smelling urine normal in old age?

My mother is 83 years old. Every day she loses urine, it's has a very strong acid smell. Is this normal for her age?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi there Thanks for sending in your query. A strong or foul smelling urine could be due to various reasons. It could be due to something harmless like certain foods (like asparagus), some medications or just a very concentrated urine (due to decreased fluid intake). On the other hand it could also be a sign of UTI or a gynecological problem. So I would recommend getting a urine R&M for your mother. It will tell us if she has UTI or a concentrated urine. I would also advise a routine gynecologic evaluation. Meanwhile ask her to drink plenty of fluids. Once we have the results of the above tests we can decide on the further course of action. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Dr. Bhabhe