Is food poisoning caused due to low platelet count?

last blood work my platelet count was low 50,000 on thursday night had either a quick bout of the stomach flu or food poisoning as I threw up and had diareta for 3 or so hours could this account for this?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: No,, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Its less likely that the gastrointestinal symptoms you had could have resulted in the low platelet count. Low platelet count is usually encountered in viral infections. I suggest you to get complete blood work to rule out such viral infections. Also the stomach symptoms you had could be secondary to the viral infection. Regards,