Is fluid discharge a week after gastric bypass surgery, normal?

I had gastric bypass surgery on January 27 and it is my 7 day follow up for drain removal. Is it normal to still have discharge (there are no signs of infection at all)? Or is the. Discharge expected to stop completely before the drain is removed? Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: The discharge is not expected to stop competely! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this hear about the surgery. I am however happy that it went on good and everything since then has been fine. The drain is put mainly to monitor for infection and to permit drainage of any pus if an infection occurs. Abdominal drains would always drain some amount of fluid because we have fluid in the abdomen. It is the nature of the fluid and the amount that may raise concerns. From what you have said, it is minimal with no signs of infection. It means no infection has occurred and the chances of that happening after 7days are very minimal. There is little benefit letting the tube drain continue to stay in place and removal is totally justified. In all, it is a good decision. The little amount of clear non infected fluid draining in no way puts the decision to remove into doubts. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.