Is fenfuro safe for type 2 diabetic patient?

Aug 2012

I want to know about a medicine name FENFURO for diabetic Type 2 Patient.
1. Are there any side effects?
2. Can Patient start with her current medication?
3. Is it a Ayurvedic medicine?
4. the website says thet medicine created from Extract from Fenucreek seeds, is it better to take Fenucreek seeds directly (only seeds/powder or in sprout).
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

3. the medication is herbal as it is said to be made up from fenugreek seeds
2. the patient can take it but do not expect that her needs of other medications including that of sugar and cholesterol will reduce. In fact the need will remain almost the same in a patient who is already needing such higher dose of tab Glipizide (Glytop).
4. Fenugreek has benefits just like taking any other small beans- moong/ black gram/ horse gram etc. It has lots of fibre. The bitter taste makes a person eat little less and the fibre create fullness. I will always say take fenugreek directly by mixing the fenugreek atta in wheat flour/ by sprouting or by making a curry. Being homemade it will be the purest form of fenugreek. This will also be cheapest option.
1. The side effects of taking fenugreek can be gastritis. But I do not know about this product specifically. Any product which claims to be effective, can do so only after proving it on large scales of clinical trials. Once a product goes through protocol based clinical trial the effect, side effects, efficacy, interactions with other medications etc are very well known and never misleading.
This product seems a commercial product without any approval from FDA, just got US licence does not mean it is safe for all humans in the US or anywhere in the world. This product is just like any other 'tele-ad' product where it works on some 'testimonials' and not one with authorised approval.
Hence you understand that eating fenugreek in fresh home-made forms has been a practice in India since many years. It has been proven safe and healthy but does never help in stopping or reducing your required suagr/ cholesterol medications. In general it helps in reducing cardiovascular risk if eaten regularly by mechanisms just the way other small beans do. So let the patient have home preparations of fenugreek rather than spending money on this product.
I hope you understood. Please get back for any related query.