Is fatigue linked diabetes and what the treatment?

Endocrinologist
Question
I am suffering from increasing fatigue which I have had for many years but which is getting worse with age( I'm 73). I have had diabetes for many years for which I have been using insulin for several years. I also suffer from depression for which I take medication( paroxetine). I am also a poor sleeper. Is this fatigue linked to my diabetes and what can I do about it ? Thank you, XXXXXXX Kilbane.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diabetes Detailed Answer: Uncontrolled or poorly controlled diabetes has long been known to cause a sense of fatigue. If the A1c test result is chronically high, say 9 or 10 or more, especially with fasting sugars greater than 250 most of the time then it can very well cause tiredness. However, there can be many reasons for fatigue. Checking for anemia and thyroid is a good idea. A simple blood test for CBC and TSH will help

Follow-up: Is fatigue linked diabetes and what the treatment? 3 hours later
I forgot to mention that I rarely eat red meat and consequently may suffer from iron deficiency which may contribute to my tiredness. What is your view on this ? Please explain to me what TBC and TSH blood tests are as these I think are not usual tests when I submit a blood test here in XXXXXXX I forgot to mention that I rarely eat red meat and consequently may suffer from iron deficiency which may contribute to my tiredness. What is your view on this ? Please explain to me what CBC and TSH blood tests are as these are not usual tests when I submit a blood sample here in XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Is fatigue linked diabetes and what the treatment? 10 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I rarely eat red meat and consequently may suffer from iron deficiency which may contribute to my tiredness. What is your view on this ? Please explain to me what CBC and TSH blood tests are as these are not usual tests when I submit a blood sample here in XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Test Detailed Answer: CBC is Complete Blood Count, also known as hemogram TSH is a universal term for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. I have just enumerated a couple possibilities. You should see your primary care provider for a formal evaluation of your fatigue and then undergo a systematic work-up