Is epilepsy curable? What are the precaution to be taken?

My elder brother aged 31 suffering from eppilepsy (i'm not certain about disease name).
1.He will become unconscious for 30 to 40 Seconds
2.His body will be shaking
3.He opens his eyes wider and shakes his head left to right some times
4.Mostly happens after 5.00 PM
5.Each time the pattern of shaking the body is similar.
6.He got this issue at the age of 22 and upto 2 years he took the below tablets and got cured.
a. Eptoin
b. Lamitor
7.Now at the age of 32 he has this issue again, doctors prescribed tegretol tablet for some days and he is not comfortable with that now doctors prescribed vinled 300 tablet

My question:
1. Will this nervous disorder get cured
2. He is not having children(trying for 2 years) - Is there is any thing related to this nervous disorder
3. What is the precautions he should keep in mind - because this happens suddenly
4. Is there is any thing that he focus in the food
5. Is the tablets prescribed above will have any side effect?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

First let me appreciate you for a good query presentation with a detailed history.

I will address your questions one by one,

1)Most of the seizure disorders do get cured on long term anti-convulsant, but some may need life long medication.The above differentiation can be made based on the exact diagnosis.Detailed study into the pattern of the seizure disorder can help us to arrive at the diagnosis and judge on the chances of complete cure.

2)No, I do not think there is any relation between seizure disorder he has and failure of conception unless proved otherwise.The fertility may have to be assessed in detail by a fertility specialist.

3)Consumption of ketogenic diet does help to reduce the seizure frequency.A ketogenic diet is one which comprises of low carbohydrate carbohydrate and high protein and maximum fat intake.This diet results in ketotic state which exerts an antiepileptic effect.

Since seizure disorders mostly result in accidents, hence care has to be taken to avoid injuries during an episode.Some amongst the measures to be followed are as follows.
a)Pad sharp edges of tables and other furniture. Do not leave drawers open.
b)Avoid freestanding or table lamps and glass decorations.
c)Whenever possible, sit down when doing household chores or using tools.
d)Avoid driving or riding.
e)Do not allow to climb to any heights etc..

During an active seizure episode :

a)You may have to gently turn them onto their sides so that vomit or fluids do not run into their lungs.
b)Do not hold someone down during a seizure or try to force an object between their teeth.
c)If breathing stops or skin turns blue , gently position him on his side to open the airway.
d)Provide him adequate ventilation during and after an episode.

4)Ketogenic diet reduces the seizure frequency, as I mentioned in my above answer.

5)There are some milder side effects expected with both the above medications he is currently on some of them commonly seen are
dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting
diarrhea or constipation
dry mouth, swollen tongue
rarely can result in confusion agitation and other nervous symptoms.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do mention if there are any other concerns.