Ask a Urologist   »  

Is enlarged prostrate a serious health concern?

Excellent

Question
Good Day Doctor My name is HS XXXXXXX Age 64, Non Smoker, non alcoholic. I recently had my check up. In my Abdominal Ultrasound, it was found that my Prostate is enlarged and measures 4.3x3.5x4.0cms (Volume 33.0ml) Lipid profile Total Cholesterol 108.00 HDL 34.00 LDL 59 VLDL 15 TRiglyc. 57 LDL:HDL Ratio 1.74 CHOL: HDL Ratio 3.18 How serious is my problem Thanks
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nothing to concern about. Exercise regularly. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I have noted the following in your query. 1. Your Prostate is enlarged. 2. HDL( High Density Lipoprotien) is low. HDL is a good cholesterol and the recommended level is more than 60. This can be increased by regular exercise. All other parameters are with in normal limits. As you already have CAD, Exercise regularly for 45 minutes a day for 5 days a week. You can do Walking, Jogging, Skipping etc. Prostate enlargement is a very common problem for your age. It is a benign prostate hypertrophy and it does not increase the risk of your prostate cancer. This need treatment if your have symptoms like Dribbling at the end of urinating, Inability to urinate, Straining to urinate, Weak urine stream. If you do not have these symptoms, then nothing to be concerned about these prostate enlargement. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: Is enlarged prostrate a serious health concern? 11 hours later
Thanks Doctor In my last USG abdomen report dated 4.10.2013 Prostate: is Normal in size outline and echo texture No median lobe hypertrophy. Capsule intact. Now ON 14.2.2014 the report Prostate: is enlarged and measures 4.3x3.5x4.0cms (Volume 33.0ml) . PSA: 0.75 What should be the size of normal prostate and what precautions I need to take? In my last USG abdomen report dated 4.10.2013 LIVER: Liver is normal in size, shape and shows hyperechoic echotexture. s/o Fatty infiltration Liver Grade1 On 14.3.2014 USG the report is "liver shows a normal homogeneous echotexture without any hypo or hyper echoic masses., abscesses or crysts. heptic veins are normal and diameter of portal vein is 8.5mm. There is no dialation of the intraheptic biliary tree and the common hectic duct. Common duct is 4.3mm. Does it mean that my Fatty infiltration Liver Grade1 is gone? I am taking Rosuvas 10mg once a day. Warm Regards

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue Rosuvas. Annual health check up & PSA mes Detailed Answer: Hello, There are two facts i have to explain about the Ultrasound especially in fatty liver. 1. Interobserver and IntraObserver variation are seen in the assessment of the fatty liver by ultrasound and the same applies to prostate. 2. Rosuvastatin is the drug used for Dyslipidemia. It is also seen to be effective in fatty liver in non alcoholics. However my advice is to continue Rosuvas 10 mg as prescribed by your doctor. It is show to increase HDL by 15%. Volume of prostate is little bit high but this does not need any treatment unless you have symptoms like Dribbling at the end of urinating, Inability to urinate, Straining to urinate, Weak urine stream. My recommendation is to have regular annual health check up with Ultrasound abdomen and PSA measurement . Continue rosuvastatin. Exercise regularly for 45 minutes a day for at least 5 days a week. Drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits. Avoid oily and deep fried foods. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.