Is eating chalk harmful ?

Every so often i get a craving to eat chalk. I had never actually done it before till a few weeks ago. I've heard that it could the cause of an iron deficiency, and I believe that to be true. I have basically been on my "period" for over a year and a half. A few years ago I had a D & C and the OBGYN was giving me the depo shot to prevent the buildup and bleeding I had previously. I need to get back to the doctor to probably have the same thing done again, but then there is the problem of money to get to the doctor. Anyhow, my questions are: Is eating chalk harmful to me? and Why the heck won't I stop bleeding? The doctors never could give me a good answer. I am 37 years old, 5 ft 2 in and 258 lbs.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Yes, eating chalk can be harmful as it is limestone and contains calcium carbonate which if taken in excessive amount can cause stone formation in kidneys.

Craving for chalk is called ' Pica' and it is seen in iron deficiency anaemia.

There can be associated factors like hookworm infection and psychological factors as you are on antidepressants.

As soon as your financial condition supports get your iron studies done including ferritin levels, iron binding capacity, folic acid and Vit B12.

Excessive bleeding can be taken care of with Medroxyprogesterone acetate tablet, one tablet of 10 mg daily starting from the first day of your menstrual cycle for 10 days.

I would suggest you to stop taking Depo.

Take iron supplements along with Iron XXXXXXX diet including XXXXXXX leafy vegatables.

I have tried to answer your query to my best efforts.

If you want to know anything else, I am always at your service.