Is dull achy pain under armpit on the left side of breast caused due to nerve pain or muscle pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had dull achy pain under my armpit on the left side of my breast for two years now. It comes and goes. Have had two breast exams and everything was fine. Right now I am laying on my right side with my knees folded. When I turn my neck to the left a have that same dull pain from the back of my neck to the left side of my breast. Could it be nerve pain or muscle pain?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probability of pain due to nerve compression Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I have studied your case with diligence. Since your symptoms are since two years probability of pain due to nerve compression is more. Neck pain and breast pain on stretching suggest nerve compression in lower cervical or upper thoracic region. This can be confirmed by doing MRI cervical and thoracic spine. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS will help in reducing pain. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Is dull achy pain under armpit on the left side of breast caused due to nerve pain or muscle pain? 5 hours later
About 6 months ago I had my VitD levels checked and they were at an 17. I have been ok 50,000.00 units once a week for the last 6 months and they are slowly rising. How does that relate?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Vit D3 is important for bone maintainance. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Vit D3 is important for bone maintainance, low level can cause weakness of vertebral artchitecture and aggravates early degeneration and nerve compression. After 6 months of supplement levels will be normal now. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.