Is dry cough in throat caused due to asthma problem?

Question
Doctor i have a problem of dry cough in my throat for last 2 3 years.is this because of asthma?
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes sir, asthma can be a cause of dry cough Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes sir/ma'am, one of the possible causes for a dry persistent cough can be asthma. But this dry cough related to asthma is worse at night, causing a disturbance in your sleep pattern; wheezing and shortness of breath are also seen along with this. This helps distinguish it from other causes of dry persistent cough. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is dry cough in throat caused due to asthma problem? 7 hours later
What are the other causes are?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Other causes listed sir/ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir/ma'am. Other causes for such a presentation can be: -Viral infections -Gastro-esophageal conditions (eg. GERD, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia, etc.) -Other respiratory infections (eg. bronchitis) -Smoking -Tuberculosis -Various medications -Heart conditions -Cancer or tumor (rare) I hope this information helps clarify your doubt sir/ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is dry cough in throat caused due to asthma problem? 15 minutes later
What about the chest infection?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, that is also an option Detailed Answer: Hi! Yes, chest infections like bronchitis are a possibility as well, and they fall under the category listed above 'other respiratory infections'. These chest infection result in dry cough at times and at times wet cough (i.e. with sputum or phlegm). The also have other symptoms like fever, difficulty breathing, nasal congestion, headaches, runny nose, swelling in throat, generalized weakness, etc. Hope this helps. Best wishes.