Is droopy eyes, irritable behaviour and less hair growth due to a thyroid problem?

Pediatrician
Question
Need some help for my daughter. She is 6.5 years old. She shows the following symptoms.
In the morning when she gets up her eyes are droopy.
She is very irritable in behaviour and is unable to sit in one place.
Her hair growth seems to be less.
Teachers have compalined about her not being able to sit in one place and thru the last year (she must have spent 50% of the school time in punishments).
Her dentist suspects thyroid problem. But her regular doctor does not. What Do I do.
I need a paediatric who can help us in this....
Please advise.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Hi.

=== what a doctor wants to know is, how long they remain droppy? is it recent? Does it persist after bath? Does it occur even at noon? Droopy eyes can at times be an early marker of serious issues like myaesthenia, but most often it is a normal phenomena if it lasts no more than 30 minutes.

=== children at age 6 year often sit at one place in school and also when they watch TV etc, if even that she isnt sitting at one place, it may need a screening for attention deficit disorder and I would also like to know about delay/issues of vision and speech.
Commonly kids are irritable when they are sick, when they run fever, when they have worms or when they have anemia.

Her hair growth seems to be less.
=== if she has been losing hairs or has broken hairs very often, she may need some supplements and evaluation too, but if she has uniform hairs and no loss of hairs, its a variation of normal.

Teachers have compalined about her not being able to sit in one place
== such kids are often best managed by making them sit on front benches. Such kids when sit on last benches have too many distractors till the teacher. Show this print out to the teacher. Such children need frequent eye contact in schools with teachers.

And thru the last year (she must have spent 50% of the school time in punishments).
=== Punishment is not a good option often,. we need to understand the kids thinking, why dont you take your kid to a counselor or Child psychiatrist?

Her dentist suspects thyroid problem. But her regular doctor does not.
--- Dentist is not trained to assess thyroid issues but regular doctors are. if worried, a thyroid blood work T3 T4TSH may help to solve the doubt.

What Do I do.
== Relax, as told prior, visit a child psychiatrist and get screened for ADHD. also get a blood hemoglobin level and if worried an additional thyroid assay.

== sure, contact back any time.

Follow-up: Is droopy eyes, irritable behaviour and less hair growth due to a thyroid problem? 1 hour later
1. The dropy eyelids are there for about 30 minutes.
In my previous response forgot to mention she is underoing counselling at the the school for the past year or so for A.D.D. Also forgot to mention that she is unable to socialize with kids of her age (has very few friends 0 is what I can say)...

She sits on the first bench in the class. She also is a student with high grades (A+).

Also do let me know can the tests be done at Thyrocare?

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Yes the tests can be done at thyrocare.

Discuss with your doctor who has screened her for ADD regarding:
1. What end of the ADD spectrum does she fall? if she falls under PDD NOS, has good chances to pick up.
2. Does she need any special schooling or counselling sessions?
3. Does she need any medicines like atmoxatin?

Get her IQ tested, its good that she has A plus grades. I hope she is extremely fluent too.
Take the print out to discuss with your doctor and follow back.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.