Is doctor correct in refusing to prescribe more than a month's medicine?

In the past I have had stomach banding performed. I was put onto Nexium 20mg once per day. Over the years since I have had numerous gastric attacks caused by oesophageal reflux (GORD or GERD!!??). Twelve months ago I had such a severe as to call a doctor in the middle of the night. The next day I saw my doctor who called an ambulance and I was taken to hospital (Berwick). After spending the day treated with Morphine and having scans done, I felt well enough to return home, with a letter to my specialist who performed the banding. When I saw her she sent me for a gastroscopy (one of a few over the years) and then increased my Nexium to 40mg. For the past 12 months I have had wonderful success from the increased Nexium, my 40mg dose continuing. Recently I went to the doctor (same place, different doctor) for a new script and he refused to prescribe 40mg other than monthly and said I must return each month for a new script. He refused to do an authority script as had been done previously. Can you please tell me if he is correct in telling me he can only prescribe it this way, ie monthly? Thank you
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that Your doctor is right in saying that any medicine which has to be continued for long time needs to be watched upon closely . Since you have already took it for long time he is right in doing this. Policy on drug writing prescription varies from country to country but yes we also follow this policy as your treating doctor is doing. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Is doctor correct in refusing to prescribe more than a month's medicine? 8 hours later
You answer has not answered my question however. I was under the impression that you were answering from within Australia!! I wanted to know if it illegal for him to prescribe this medication six-monthly, nothing to do with watching me closely!! Surely if a drug is proven to be helpful, there is no reason to limit it, risking repeat episodes of problems. I am not happy with your answer. Please refund my payment. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, It is not illegal to prescribe this medicine for 6 months madam , it contains esomaprazole which is a proton pump inhibitor and it can definitely be used for long time so it cannot be illegal anyhow in any country but this depends on your treating doctor whether he will do it or not. Dr. Shruti