Is dizziness after waking up from heavy sleep common ?

After a heavy sleep I woke up last night very dizzy. I was laying in bed and looked over at my clock and dresser and everything was out of focus. I sat up and after a few seconds I was fine and able to walk to the bathroom. It happened again later in the night but not as severe. As far as I know I don't have Sleep Apnea but have never been examined for it. I'm 65 years old and on blood pressure medication for high blood pressure. Should I be concerned. This is the first time the dizziness has occurred.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later

Sometimes when you wake up from a XXXXXXX sleep then your muscles are completely relaxed and it takes some time to regain the strength and to focus on things. This is just incidental and might have happened by chance only.

Another possibility is of postural hypotension. It is usually a side effect of many antihypertensive drugs. It happens because when you stand up from lying down posture, the blood pools down into the legs due to the effect of gravity decreasing the blood supply to brain causing the dizziness. Immediately the body compensatory mechanisms come into play and you feel normal.

Still I think you should a complete cardiac check up done to rule out a missed heart beat as one of the causes of such sudden dizziness.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.