Is disappearance of fetal pole and absence of heartbeat due to blighted ovum?

My ob/gyn has told me I have a blighted ovum. I have what looks like a healthy yolk sac and gestational sac. Up until yesterday I had what he called a fetal pole. Yesterday he told me what he sees measures at 7 weeks, but he does not see a fetal pole anymore and could not find a heartbeat. He suggested that I come in and have an induced miscarriage. I should be 9 weeks according to my lmp, but my measurements have been wrong. I have had three scans in the past four weeks that looks like things are progressing, but he still cannot find a heartbeat and says I have not progressed enough from the first scan. I'm wondering if I should wait another two weeks and see if things happen naturally if something is wrong, then if nothing happens go ahead and get another scan? Or is everything correct based on what he is seeing in the scans. I know dates can be wrong, but I don't want to make the wrong decision either way, and I definitely don't want to abort if there is a chance the baby is in there and maybe just hiding.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like blighted ovum. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing Healthcaremagic. I have analyzed your query and I can understand your concerns. I have gone through your scan reports, as there is no proper fetal pole and no fetal cardiac activity at 7 weeks and no good growth of sac in between sacs makes me think in terms of ANEMBRYONIC PREGNANCY also termed as Blighted ovum. I agree with your treating doctor. But if you are still concerned there is no harm in waiting for another 10 days and repeating the scan. If you agree with the diagnosis then its better to abort this pregnancy. There is no chance like foetus will be hiding, it should have been seen by this time. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!