Is deviated sinus with bright red blood cough,a serious health concern?

I have a deviated sinus on the left side. Every now and then I cough up bright red blood. I am told I have a weak vein on that side,is this serious?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: See ENt speciallist for freview, urgently Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is imperative that you get evaluated for the red blood you are coughing up. This could imply some trauma at the level of the chest, or the blood drains from a bleeding vessel at the level of the sinuses and drains to the back region of the throat, gets swallowed and is coughed out. This is very possible since the sinuses are somehow connected to the nostrils and mouth region. The vein needs to be evaluated and management, maybe surgically. Clamping and excising if its the case could give a definitive treatment. The opinion of an ENT specialist would, in this case, be mandatory. The sinus needs to be revisited, x rays done and special endoscopic exams to know its exact state. Well managed sinus problem should lead to recovery. Persistence could imply an associated lung problem, where the expertize of the pulmonologist would be required. For now, book an appointment with an ENt specialist for a proper clinical review. Based on the results, one would either intervene, or if it is mild, watchful waiting for spontaneous amelioration might be tried. Aggressive or soft measures are both going to be determined by a proper ENT consultation. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain