Is derealization a symptom of a neurological disease?

How often is due realization a presenting symptom of a neurological disease? Specifically als
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I would like to know Did you mean to ask about Derealization ? Is it Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis you are mentioning about ? Is the person suffering a male or a female ? What are his/her other symptoms ? Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Is derealization a symptom of a neurological disease? 4 minutes later
Yes i meant depersonalization actually, been having an odd senasation where it feels like my body is non existant yet i can still feel everything i touch and move normally. I looked up depersonalization on wikipedia and it said it could be a of als ( and the als you wrote is what i meant). I have been in complete worry now. I am a 28 year old female
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: ALS is Motor disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the information. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a motor disease affecting the muscles and voluntary movements more than the mental status. Well, depersonalization can be expected in ALs but in late stages where the damage may involve the brain and other centres of thought. If you have confirmed ALS and not in severe condition I doubt the depersonalization symptoms to be linked with it by any way. I suggest you consult a Psychiatrist who can conduct counselling sessions and come out with the cause for the depersonalization you are experiencing. Regards,
Follow-up: Is derealization a symptom of a neurological disease? 43 minutes later
Ok thank you very much, i also wanted to make sure that i am in correct in assuming that these sensations are depersonalization. Also, do you see these sensations as something to worry about in a medical sense or are you pretty certain it is psycologically stemmed
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Psychological Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I am sure that most of times such symptoms are psychological in origin. I would recommend a counselling session by a Psychiatrist to assess and ascertain that its depersonalization. Regards,