Is depression curable with mental excercises without psychiatric medication?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi. is it possible to become depression free without taking one or more psychiatric medications? do brain exercises such as puzzles work? I've found some books on this topic but no ratings so I'm not sure if they work. back in grade 9 I was tested for my iq by the school psychologist and turned out that I've an above average memory but below average organizational skills which explains why I've never done well in school, at home and at work. I believe that if somehow I improve my organizational skills i'll be ok. as I said I've found some books on this topic that include exercises such as puzzles but because none of them have been rated I'm not sure if they work, do they? thanks
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks you for sending in your query. As you might be aware, symptoms of depression may be due to causes which are biological, social or psychological reasons. In simpler words, a person can be inclined more towards depressive symptoms in the presence of any biological or physical illnesses or incapacity, any social situation which is limiting one's ability to enjoy life like poverty or law and order situation and lastly any situation arising out of the brain's psychology like a previous mental illness. So here we have three areas to work upon, your health (psoriasis, goiter, elevated creatinine and heart failure), your social relationships and skills and lastly your psychology. Building up your organizational skills will surely help you in all the three above areas and can reduce your dependence on psychiatric medication. Additionally you may also involve yourself in mind training exercises and meditation, both of which are known to help patients fight depression. However, should you be taking psychiatric medication presently, it most important that you do not alter or change any psychiatric medications by yourself as it can have an adverse effect on your recovery from depression. Hope this answers your query. Please do write in if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Is depression curable with mental excercises without psychiatric medication? 41 minutes later
I'm afraid of taking psychiatric medications. because they caused some bad side effects on me. however yes I do have the medical conditions that you stated but its reversing now, for example my doctor's used to think that my thyroid would get hypoactive based on it's history (subacute thyroiditis) but it didn't, they used to think that it would within a year of balancing out after my subacute thyroiditis but it's now been almost 3 years that my thyroid has been stable , that's why my doctors think that I would have no more issues with my thyroid in the future but they don't guarantee and that's why my family doctor is keeping an eye on it and checks it in my blood every 6-12 months. I also no longer have the psoriasis, I still put Vaseline on the spot but I think it's gone. and my heart and kidnies are also ok now.

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks you for writing back with an update. It's great to know that your medical problems have improved and you are leading an almost normal life. If you do not take psychiatric medications then there is nothing much to worry. Please avoid feeling lonely and always have positive thoughts in your mind. The key to fighting depression lies in trying to be happy from within. You may also start new hobbies and interests and explore areas in your job to keep yourself busy. Improving your organizational skills will help you in a big way to stay away from depression. You just need to be slow and steady in your approach. Hope this answers your query. Please do write in if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor