Is darker skin suggestive of underlying heart disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My son is 3 months old. was born on the 23rd oct and due date was 17 nov. have noticed sometimes my sons face looks fairer and at times its darker then his body color. I am an Asian indian. could you reason it out for me?? the reason being I have a niece whom is a heart patient and other is a chronic reflux patient. I am concern about medical reason. My doc claims hasn't found anything wrong with my baby. Can you please tell me why it occurs
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 hours later
Brief Answer: color difference is normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Usually face looks more fair than the rest of the body and it is a normal phenomenon. And as the age increases the skin becomes little darker than that of newborn period. So the difference in skin color is a normal thing and not suggestive of an underlying medical condition. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Is darker skin suggestive of underlying heart disease? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. My niece was diagnose as a heart patient due to the color on the face.. Please have your say on this. The reason is her color changed darker and fairer on the face only and not the body

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: darker skin is not suggestive of heart disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. I can understand your concerns on heart disease because of its presence in your niece. Some type of heart disease presents with bluish discoloration of lips and finger nails and dusky skin of palms and soles. But darker skin is not suggestive of any underlying heart disease. I suggest you to stop worrying about this as the child doctor has not found any thing wrong with the baby. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.