Is darkening in middle portion of forehead due to direct sun exposure related to stress?

Just a few weeks ago, the middle portion of my forehead suddenly darkened. While I have been exposed to direct sunlight that day, I feel that this is more obesity-related. And I have read in the internet that this can also be glucose-related. I had this same experience about 5 years ago when work stress was very high. So, is this also related to stress? I am now temporarily treating it with whitening cream.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: pictures Detailed Answer: Hi Can you please click some close up pictures of the exact skin condition and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. This will help in differentiating a hormonal pigmentation from Sun induced pigmentation. Also please tell if you have any pigmentation in other body parts like neck, axilla and groin. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Is darkening in middle portion of forehead due to direct sun exposure related to stress? 22 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I already e-mailed the pictures to YYYY@YYYY for your reference. No, I have not noticed any other pigmentation in my other body parts.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pseudoacanthosis nigricans Detailed Answer: Hi again You are right that the skin disease that you have is related to being overweight. See it is basically pseudoacanthosis nigricans. Now this is a pigmentation of the skin seen in people who tend total overweight. Most importantly, you need to know that this pigmentation tends to increase as the weight increases. So you need to look into that and make necessary lifestyle changes. Next for its treatment, you can use a lightening agent like kojic acid in the morning along with another agent which is azelaic acid in the evening. Also it is very essential to use a sunscreen on daily basis. It should atleast be of spf more than 26. Now friction is an important aggravating factor, so do not rub the lesion. Also stress, as you pointed out , is another factor which can lead to insulin irregularities in the body and can also have effect on this pigmentation. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul