Is cramps in hand a sign of Carpal tunnel syndrome?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am right handed, and my left hand, for a few years now, has a nerve or tendon issue of sort. Opposite my thumb, at the base of my hand, just above my wrist, I get , what I can best describe, as a cramp occasionally. It has gotten progressively worse and now happens a few times a day. It seems to radiate up through my pinky. I can sometime feel a throbbing sensation at that base point as well. Thoughts? Carpel Tunnel?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. It appears to be carpel tunnel syndrome from your history. You need to get physically examined by doctor. Your doctor may advise you nerve conduction study. After physical examination and nerve conduction study your doctor may advise you treatment in the form of steroid injection at site or carpel tunnel release. Do not take tension , you will be alright. But you have to consult your doctor as early as possible. Till then you can take painkillers like paracetamol, neproxen etc. but these do not help you much. After your physical examination and nerve conduction study, send me report. I will also advise you treatment if you needed. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.