Is cough with yellow mucus discharge post oral sex an ARS symptom ?

I was involved in XXXXXXX Kissing and Oral sex with another man. I did not perform oral sex on him "sucking him" because I was afraid of cuts in my mouth due to my braces, so to my knowledge my ecounter was considered safe, is that correct? Exactly 6-7 days after the encounter I felt something stuck in my throat and when I coughed ALOT of yellow mucus came out. This lasted for 3 days. I thought I may have caught a cold but I did not have a runny nose and I was in no pain when I was eating, so I'm a bit confused as to what that was. I will mention that Iam a smoker of 7 years to date. Coughing yellow mucus was my only symptom during this period. Is this a symptom of Acute Retroviral Syndrome of HIV or any other STDS? To my knowledge and from what I was told it's not, as respiratory things such as yellow mucus are not considered ARS symptoms.. Could you confirm this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

Thanks for your query ,

Yes, I could confirm and assure you that the yellow mucus produced on coughing by you is not ARS /HIV or any STD.

The possible cause of the same would be a allergic pharyngitis or due to a bacterial infection.The allergic sore throat may subside on its own over time and on reducing smoking.If not recovered within 3 days from now do get examined by a nearest doctor to confirm the bacterial involvement put you on antibiotics.

Meanwhile I would suggest you to gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE solution twice daily after food which may prevent worsening or treat the condition in some instance.

I would agree you not being at risk of HIV/STD if you have not performed Oral sex on your partner. But on the contrary if he has performed oral sex on you without protection then 100% safety cannot be assured in both.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Is cough with yellow mucus discharge post oral sex an ARS symptom ? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your reply doctor,

Just to assure myself regarding this subject, respiratory symptoms such as (runny nose, productive cough etc) are not considered ARS?

I don't believe I was 100% clear, my productive cough only lasted for 3 days and now it's gone.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 48 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

I do agree that productive cough is a symptom in ARS , but ARS is almost always presented as a group of symptoms coexisting in relation to each other.Never do present isolated ( only one or two symptoms).

Moreover 7 days is very short time for ARS to develop, the optimal incubation period is 3 to4 weeks.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Is cough with yellow mucus discharge post oral sex an ARS symptom ? 15 hours later
Sorry doctor, did u mean to say productive cough is or not part of ARS? I heard respiratory symptoms are not part of Ars symptoms but more of a
Flu like symptoms....
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 29 minutes later
Hi ,

Yes, its less likely for LRTI(Lower cough to be a symptom of ARS , where as Pharyngitis or laryngitis leading to cough and production of secretions could be a part of ARS.

Wish you good health