Is cough with phlegm a normal symtom after quitting smoking?

As a follow-up to my question I wanted to be clear that my chest pain and back pain is not constant it comes and goes in waves and sometimes I'm not in any pain whatsoever but the phlegm has been ongoing since I quit smoking and sometimes it's clear sometimes it has increased, sometimes it's yellow or green and on those rare occasions I have been a couple strands of of blood. Overall I do feel better I'm just wondering if these are normal symptoms after quitting smoking thank you for all your help
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It suggests some on going infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up query. I understand that the pain is not continuous and comes and goes with the bouts of cough. Normal cessation of smoking will not lead to this kind of cough and phlegm and the symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that there is an ongoing infection. Ofcourse post nasal drip is there cause of secretions coming from on going infections. Infection could be an upper respiratory infection or a lower respiratory infection which is difficult to ascertain but absence of wheezes reduces the chances of lower respiratory tract infection. You should get a swab of the phlegm that you get and then get a culture and sensitivity done for the swab. The specific antibiotic can then be initiated to take care of infection. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Is cough with phlegm a normal symtom after quitting smoking? 45 hours later
Thank you for the response. I deeply resent you asking me to provide 'feedback' on you. Is it not obvious that I am going through something rather tramatic? Have some empathy and respect! I wonder what your bed side manner is in person. Do yoi ask your patients for a gold star?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Hello Sincere apologies if me asking a feed back has hurt you. I never ask a feed back in real "face-to-face" consultation as the same is obvious with the expression on the patients face that the patient is satisfied or not. In online forum, where there is no "face-to-face" interaction, its only your valuable feed back "positive or negative" that is going to help my further interaction with other patients online. By giving a feed back you can improve the quality of my consultation and in turn help patients who may be suffering more than what you are. Its a gesture to help other patients. But its not at all essential. You can right away refuse it, and it would cause no harm to me. Its completely optional. Still sorry if me asking a feedback felt rude to you. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD