Is cough and upper respiratory symptoms due to lisinopril?

I took 2 doses of lisinopril at 2.5 mg /d 11 and 10 days ago. I started to cough and sneeze with runny nose fatigue. Cough was dry but other times produced sputum which was usually clear. changed to cozaar 3.125 mg/d no change in symptoms by 2 days then stopped taking cough has gotten progressively worse was treated with ceftin . No change. Now have some wheezes on day 13 started on prednisone 20 mg/d. And antibiotic changed to doxycycline. Blood pressure 123/77 hr 60. Only other cardiac med i take is multaq 400 mg twice daily for parox. Afib which was occuring 1x/yr. now withoutproblems on multaq. I am 55 y/o male 6'2" 230 lbs. question is: is cough and upper respiratory symptoms due to the lisinopril or tracheobronchitis as ive been diagnosed with? Thx
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tracheobronchitis is the cause Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic It is very likely trachea-bronchitis… Lisinopril is an ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor) could cause a similar picture in some people. But it will disappear once the drug is withdrawn. The half-life of the drug is about 12 hours; the drug itself must have been completely eliminated from the system by 3 days. There is an old expression, “Post hoc ergo propter hoc”, meaning ‘after this, therefore because of this’ / It is natural to associate things with the immediate past / It is true – often, but not always. The class is notorious for such side effects… Even otherwise – in case of doubt – the benefit of doubt should be given and the drug should be stopped. The only sure way to confirm the role is to challenge again / to re-introduce the drug - to test. That SHOULD NOT BE DONE / IT IS RISKY – may lead to angioneurotic oedema and can be serious and disastrous. Hence you are absolutely right to consider it and stop it… Never try again, even it is not the cause / as in this situation!.. Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Follow-up: Is cough and upper respiratory symptoms due to lisinopril? 28 minutes later
I was concerned I had laryngioedema because of the difficulty moving air and the dry hacking cough could this be the case? Thx
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be Detailed Answer: Hi Yes, probably a less severe form It is retrospective and speculative / but in this situation, it was very likely Regards
Follow-up: Is cough and upper respiratory symptoms due to lisinopril? 11 minutes later
Are there any treatments because those are my symptoms now? And I took the medicine about 2 wks ago thx again Sorry also wanted to let u know at my gps office today my ox sat was 96% And also is laryngoedema the same as angioneurotic edema thx again
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Already appropriate Detailed Answer: Hello You are in good hands Your treatment is appropriate and state of the art It is a question of time and things will be well keep following up All the best
Follow-up: Is cough and upper respiratory symptoms due to lisinopril? 7 minutes later
Sorry again just wanting some hints if I am having angioedema now or if I'm ok from that perspective thx again
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not now Detailed Answer: Angioedema is short and self limiting If anything, you have cleared and way away... The problem now is viral and/or allergic Regards