Is continuous use of Vietrin safe for persisting tinnitus and are there any side effects?

ENT Specialist
I am having ringing sound in my left ear from middle of Feb.,2013.For two months I consumed Tinnex Tablets and thereafter for five months Virtin 24 alongwith tablets of vitamin B 12 twice a day. Neurobion Forte has been also consumed. Still I do not find much relief.Should I continue Virtrin 24 further or not without any side effect.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get an MRI done Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Tinnitus can be one of the most annoying conditions for which no single treatment is successful in all the patients. If the tinnitus is persisting for long, one should get an MRI of the brain done with specific reference to cerebello-pontine angle region and internal acoustic meatus. There are few rare conditions which can lead to tinnitus and which can be diagnosed on MRI. I suppose there is not finding in ear examination. Also , please get a pure tone audiometry done, if there is some sensory-neural hearing loss associated, a hearing aid will solve both the problems If MRI is normal, other than the drugs you have already used, amitriptyline is also used for this. Tinnitus retraining therapy should be discussed with your treating doctor, if the things do not improve on medical treatment. Feel free to ask another query. Regards