Is constant dull ache in my right shoulder blade related to GERD disease?

I have a constant dull ache or pain under my right shoulder blade. It comes and goes. Would have anything to do with Gerd disease?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consultation of physician needed for management. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for the query through XXXXXXX The pain under right shoulder blade, can be from many causes both miner & serious. They are mostly related to muscles, bones, organs, joint underling area & shoulder joint involvement presenting as a referred pain under right shoulder blade GERD, i.e. gastro esophageal reflex is regurgitation of gastric contents to esophagus. Both the organs being not near right shoulder blade, it mostly is devoid of pain under right shoulder blade. The causes for the pain you have are - As miner as wrong posture (sitting, leaning, (specially in front of computer), sleeping - Carrying heavy things on right shoulder, Some times more serious conditions may present as pan under right shoulder blade like, - Arthritis of right shoulder, - A pinched nerve, muscle spasms, - A long running cough along with allergy/ infection/breathlessness, turning in Pneumonic condition in lungs. -arthritis of right shoulder, - Liver/gall bladder problems, -heart problems may present as pain under right shoulder blade. Management- It depends on the causative factor. It is therefore essential to consult an expert physician for complete physical checkup & advice for needful investigations. After evaluating the findings, diagnosis can be done. He will also advice you treatment according to the cause. Before that,on can do few basic things to reduce the pain. They are- -Rest,to wrap/compress shoulder joint in case of painful movements, Sleep with the right side -up position,fomentation, use of muscle relaxants(no massage)Pain killers orally. Therefore I would advice you to consult an expert physician & follow the instructions given for a relief & cure from the pain under right scapular region. I hope the information given is both informative & helpful to you. Any follow-up query, I will be happy to help. Thanks. -