Is constant bowel movements caused due to irritable bowel syndrome?

General Surgeon
Hello, for about the past few months I have been having some lower stomach issues. It seems the many times I wake up in the morning and after being up about 2 hours I have the urge to use the restroom and its so bad that once I did not even make it. It is usually more of a clumpy brown mess. It has been starting to get worse as now it seems many times right after I eat I have to go ASAP and even this morning I have gone 4 times in 3 hours and I have only had a small 6oz chicken breast and coffee. Started off brown and now its a stream of lightly colored water. I have been to my Dr who had me try probiotics with no luck and I went to a GI and he did an upper scope as I was having some other issues. He said I had a mild hiatel hernia and that my stomach looked a little inflamed. He did not do a lower scope as I had one done 5 years ago and since there is no blood or blockage he did not deem it necessary. Both doctors have diagnosed it as IBS but I just want an outside opinion as to what it could be. This is very annoying to have to be around a restroom constantly as I am an avid runner and love to stay in shape. I am on previcid for acid reflux and I take vitamens from GNC. 35 years old, 190lbs, athletic
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes its mostly IBS only. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Yes, your symptoms do look like IBS only. Though it can be a bowel infection also. So I would suggest that you try a course of antibiotic like metronidazole, if you already haven't tried. And if you have tried that already, and no relief, the surely its IBS. If its IBS, there are various forms of treatment, like dietary changes, medication, stress reduction, behavioral therapy, and alternative therapy. You may need to try just one, or you may need a combination of these approaches to get relief. Regarding diet, you will need to find out what suits you and what doesn't. Try taking off one thing from your diet for a week and see it if helps. But do have fibers in your diet, they will help you with your diarrhea. Also drink clean water. I am sure that your GI doctor must have prescribed you drugs for it, so follow him. But don’t get disappointed if they don’t work because like diet, drugs also you have to try as something works with a few people and same doesn’t for a few. So you have to be behind him to get to what works with you. And, lastly, if nothing worked then do get a colonoscopy done as 5 years is a good length of time. Hope, that I have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, I will be glad to answer them.